WILLIAMSTOWN, Mass. – SUNY Geneseo junior Elise Ramirez finished sixth out of 286 runners to lead the No. 5 Knights to third place out of 26 teams at the Purple Valley Classic, hosted by Williams at Mt. Greylock High Sichool, Saturday.
- Ramirez covered the 6,000-meter course with a time of 22:24.1, less than a minute behind Ithaca's Taryn Cordani who won the race with a 21:35.5 clocking.
- Senior Kristen Homeyer posted a top-20 finish, crossing 19th with a time of 23:11.2
- Sophomore Genny Corcoran placed 31st (23:43.8), followed by sophomore Allison Fernandez in 35th (23:46.9) and sophomore Annibel Coolican in 40th (23:56.6) to close out the Knights' scoring five.
- The field included several nationally and regionally ranked teams. MIT entered the meet ranked No. 3 nationally, along with No. 4 Williams, No. 7 Ithaca, No. 8 Middlebury, No. 12 RPI, No. 16 Dickinson and No. 17 St. Lawrence.
- Tufts and Amherst were ranked No. 5 and No. 9, respectively, in the New England Region, while Hamilton entered the meet ranked No. 9 in the Atlantic Region. Geneseo was ranked first in the Atlantic Region while MIT and Williams were ranked first and second, respectively, in New England.
Geneseo hosts the Mike Woods Invitational next Saturday (Sept. 3) at 11:00 a.m. at Letchworth State Park's Highbanks Recreational Area.