POTSDAM, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo senior outside hitter Grace Cergol totaled 15 kills and 12 digs while senior libero Sam Mendelsohn compiled a career-high 35 digs to lead the Knights to a 3-2 (25-17, 24-26, 15-25, 25-16, 15-7) victory over Nazareth on the first night of action at the Clarkson Invitational, Friday.
- Geneseo opened a 12-5 first-set lead, before Nazareth scored four straight points to pull back within three, 12-9. The Knights answered with a 5-0 run, including two kills by senior outside hitter Abby May, to take a 17-9 edge that proved decisive.
- Geneseo looked to be in control in the second set, opening a 14-10 lead that grew to as many as five at 19-14. However, the Golden Flyers dug out of a 21-17 hole with a 7-2 surge to force a set point. Cergol tied the score with a kill, but Nazareth notched two straight points to even the match score, 1-1.
- Tied, 4-4, in the third, Nazareth used an 11-0 run to take a 15-4 lead. Geneseo made it a 16-8 deficit with a 4-1 run, but got no closer to fall behind, 2-1.
- Nazareth scored four-consecutive points to take an 11-10 lead in the fourth, but Geneseo responded with a 7-1 run, including three Cergol kills, to take a 17-12 lead. The Golden Flyers scored back-to-back points to draw within three, but the Knights scored eight of the final 10 points to force a fifth set.
- A kill by junior outside hitter Alexandra Frank staked Geneseo to an 8-3 lead that grew to seven, 11-4, following a Cergol kill and two Nazareth hitting errors. The Golden Flyers scored the next two points, but Geneseo scored four of the final five points to close the match.
- Geneseo is 6-1 in five-set matches this fall, including its third in a row with tonight's decision.
- Mendelsohn surpassed the 32 digs she compiled in last Saturday's five-set win at New Paltz as well as in the five-set loss to Mary Washington (Aug. 31) during the Franklin & Marshall Scramble. She is the program's all-time leader with 1,685 digs to date.
- Frank reached double figures with 23 digs along with May, who added 12 kills.
- First-year setter Grace Thomas totaled 20 assists while junior Mary Bartkus added 14.
Geneseo (13-8) returns to action on Saturday, taking on Clarkson at 11:00 a.m. and St. Lawrence at 3:00 p.m.