NEW PALTZ, N.Y. – SUNY Geneseo senior outside hitter Grace Cergol tied a season-high with 22 kills while adding 23 digs to lead the Knights to a 3-2 (25-18, 21-25, 23-25, 25-17, 15-10) victory at New Paltz in State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) women's volleyball action, Saturday.
Geneseo (11-9, 7-0 SUNYAC) defeated the defending SUNYAC Champions to remain undefeated in conference play and become the first team to clinch a spot in the SUNYAC Tournament.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Tied, 12-12, in the first set, Cergol capped a 4-0 surge with a kill to push the Knights on top, 16-12. New Paltz got back within one, 17-16, before Geneseo used an 8-2 run to close the opening win.
- The Knights opened an early 5-4 lead, but the Hawks answered with an 8-2 run to build a 12-7 lead. Geneseo came back to tie the score, 16-16, but could never move ahead. New Paltz broke a 19-19 tie with a 6-2 spurt to tie the match.
- Geneseo took a 4-3 lead in the third set, but the Hawks built a 14-8 lead following an 11-5 surge. The Knights scored eight of the next nine points to take a 16-15 lead. After three lead changes and six ties down the stretch. New Paltz scored the final three points to earn a 2-1 overall lead.
- Momentum swung both ways in the fourth, starting with a 5-0 New Paltz run to take a 14-11 lead. Geneseo responded with five-straight points for a 16-14 edge before a 3-0 Hawks' run yielded a 17-16 lead. However, three kills apiece by Cergol and senior outside hitter Abby May helped the Knights close the set with an 8-0 run to force a deciding fifth.
- An opening 5-1 Knights' run turned into an 8-2 lead, capped by a pair of Cergol kills. New Paltz got as close as four, 11-7, but a kill from junior middle blocker Kiersten Colvin followed by a pair of New Paltz errors gave the visitors match point, 14-7, later closed out by a Cergol kill.
- Senior libero Sam Mendelsohn was credited with a career-high 32 digs, eclipsing the 30 she totaled in a 3-1 win over visiting Cortland on Oct. 6, 2017.
- Senior outside hitter Abby May tied a season-high with 16 kills to go along with seven digs while sophomore outside hitter Maddie McLaughlin also reached double-digits with 11 kills.
- First-year setter Grace Thomas compiled 43 assists and 16 digs.
Geneseo takes on Nazareth on Friday (Oct. 18) at 6:00 p.m. to kick off the Clarkson Invitational. The Knights will also take on Clarkson (11:00 a.m.) and St. Lawrence (3:00 p.m.) on Saturday (Oct. 19).