ROCHESTER, N.Y. – SUNY Geneseo junior outside hitter Alexandra Frank totaled 11 kills and 11 digs in the Knights' 3-1 (25-16, 23-25, 25-23, 25-14) setback at RIT, Tuesday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Geneseo fell behind, 15-7, in the first set before pulling back within three, 17-14, with a 7-2 run. Leading, 19-16, the Tigers scored the final six points to seal the first set.
- The Knights found themselves in an early 10-4 hole to start the second, but responded with an 8-4 run to pull within two, 14-12. RIT reclaimed a 17-13 edge, but Geneseo scored five of the next six points to knot the set, 18-18. Geneseo opened a 21-19 lead before a 4-0 run put the Tigers back on top. However, senior outside hitters Grace Cergol and Abby May alternated kills to push the Knights to the two-point victory.
- RIT claimed a 9-5 lead in the third that ballooned to nine, 22-13. Geneseo clawed its way back with a 10-2 surge to make it a one-point score, 24-23, but RIT found the final point to hold on for the win.
- The Tigers opened an early five-point lead, 8-3, in the fourth set that grew to eight, 15-7. The Knights scored the next two points to get within six, but RIT opened a double-digit lead, 20-10, to snap Geneseo's five-match winning streak.
- May tied Frank with a team-high 11 kills.
- Four Knights reached double-digit digs, including 12 by first-year defensive specialist Emily Bablin and 10 apiece by senior Sam Mendelsohn and first-year defensive specialist Emily Haber.
- First-year Grace Thomas totaled 21 assists.
Geneseo (10-8) returns to State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) play on Friday and Saturday (Oct. 11-12) at Oneonta (6:00 p.m.) and New Paltz (2:00 p.m.), respectively.