GENESEO, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo first-year setter Grace Thomas logged 38 assists and sophomore outside hitter Maddie McLaughlin finished with a team-high 13 kills as the Knights defeated State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) foe Buffalo State, 3-0 (25-17, 25-20, 25-19), on Friday night at Schrader Gym.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Tied at 5-5, senior Grace Cergol served up five-straight points including a service ace, while junior middle Kiersten Colvin put down a pair of kills, leading the Knights to a 10-5 lead. Buffalo State never drew closer than four points as Geneseo closed out the first set, 25-17.
- In the second set, Geneseo led by as many as 10 points, taking a 20-10 lead, but Buffalo State battled back with a 9-3 run. McLaughlin finished off a set from Thomas for match point as the Knights held on for a 25-20 victory to take a 2-0 lead.
- The Knights and Bengals battled in the third set, but Geneseo closed out the match with a 7-3 run to take the final frame, 25-19.
- McLaughlin registered her 13 kills on just 29 swings with one error (.414). Senior Abby May led the team with two service aces while senior Sam Mendelsohn recorded a squad-best 17 digs.
- Colvin finished with seven kills and three blocks (two solo) while Cergol notched 10 kills.
- The Knights recorded 16 kills on just 33 swings for a .394 hitting percentage in the third set.
Geneseo (9-7, 4-0 SUNYAC) hosts Fredonia on Saturday at 1:00 p.m.