GENESEO, N.Y. – SUNY Geneseo senior outside hitter Grace Cergol logged a match-high 15 kills to lead the Knights to a 3-0 (25-14, 25-17, 25-18) victory over visiting Rochester, Tuesday night, at Schrader Gymnasium.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Geneseo opened a quick 5-1 lead, capped by a Cergol service ace. The Knights extended their lead, 11-5, but the Yellowjackets scored the next three points to pull back within three, 11-8. However, Cergol's second service ace completed an 11-3 run that yielded a 22-11 Geneseo lead to put the first set out of reach.
- The Knights opened a quick 5-1 second-set lead, but Rochester bounced back with a 9-4 run to lead, 10-9. The Yellowjackets clung to a 16-15 lead, but Geneseo finished the set on a 10-1 run, including three-straight Cergol kills, to earn the eight-point decision.
- Geneseo opened the third with a 15-3 edge, but Rochester battled back within five, 20-15. However, the Knights closed the match earning five of the final eight points to seal their fourth-consecutive victory.
- Geneseo (4-3) limited the Rochester (6-3) attack to a .143 combined hitting percentage for the match.
- Junior defensive specialist Alexandra Frank notched a team-high 10 digs.
- First-year setter Grace Thomas totaled a three-set career high 41 assists.
- Cergol's 1,298 career kills put her two shy of becoming only the second player in program history with 1,300.
Geneseo heads to Boston for three matches at the MIT Tournament. The Knights take on Babson this Friday (Sept. 13) at 6:30 p.m. before squaring off with MIT (10:00 a.m.) and Endicott (2:30 p.m.) on Saturday (Sept. 14).