CLEVELAND – SUNY Geneseo senior outside hitter Grace Cergol totaled 16 kills and four service aces to lead the Knights to a 3-0 (25-15, 25-18, 25-21) victory over Thiel (Pa.) on the first night of action at the Case Western Reserve Invitational, Friday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Geneseo fell behind, 5-0, in the first set before responding with an 11-1 run. Thiel pulled back within four, 13-9, but the Knights closed the set with a 12-6 run to take the opening victory.
- Geneseo led, 7-4, early in the second set before a 9-4 run, including four Cergol kills, pushed the Knights ahead, 16-9. Theil climbed back to a five-point deficit, 19-14, but a service ace by junior opposite Alexandra Frank kicked off a 6-2 Geneseo spurt to close the second.
- The Knights scored the first four points of the third set, but the Tomcats pulled back within one, 6-5. Geneseo never trailed, but didn't lead by more than two until a 3-1 run put the Knights on top, 19-16. Leading, 21-19, the Knights scored four of the next six points to seal their first victory of the season.
- Cergol, who moved four kills away from second place on Geneseo's all-time list with 1,261 to date, made only three hitting errors on 22 total attacks for a .591 hitting percentage.
- Senior libero Sam Mendelsohn finished with a team-high 13 digs and is only 10 shy of becoming the second player in program history to eclipse the 1,400 dig plateau.
- First-year setter Grace Thomas compiled 22 assists to go along with six digs.
Geneseo plays two more matches at the CWRU Invite on Saturday, facing Washington & Jefferson at 12:00 p.m. before taking on the host Spartans at 2:00 p.m.