GENESEO, N.Y. – SUNY Geneseo is the site of the 2018 State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) Women's Volleyball Tournament this Friday and Saturday.
On Friday, top-seeded Knights (21-9) take on fourth-seeded Fredonia (22-9) at 7:00 p.m. after second-seeded New Paltz (24-7) squares off with sixth-seeded Oswego (19-13) at 4:00 p.m. The championship match is scheduled for 4:00 p.m. on Saturday.
New Paltz/Oswego winner vs. Fredonia/Geneseo winner - 4PM
Live Stats | Live Video
ABOUT THE KNIGHTS
- Geneseo compiled a 9-0 SUNYAC record for the first time in program history and clinched the top seed for the conference tournament for the first time in 20 years. The Knights also hosted the tournament 1998 and 1996.
- Junior outside hitter Grace Cergol leads the SUNYAC with 4.24 kills per set, but missed Geneseo's last seven regular-season matches due to injury. She entered Friday's match nine short of becoming only the fifth Knight to total 1,200 career kills.
- Geneseo's lone senior Emily Ast is second in the SUNYAC with 9.26 assists per set. She is ranked second in program history with 3,993 career assists entering Friday's match.
- Sophomore defensive specialist Alexandra Frank ranks 25th in Division III with 63 services aces entering the weekend.
- Geneseo is facing Fredonia in the SUNYAC Tournament for the third-straight season. The Knights defeated the host Blue Devils, 3-0, in the 2016 quarterfinals while Fredonia earned a 3-0 sweep in the semifinals last season. Geneseo also earned a 2-0 (best-of-three format) win in 1984 in the teams' only other SUNYAC Tournament meeting.
- Geneseo qualified for its 14th SUNYAC Semifinal and is in the hunt for its fourth championship appearance. The Knights fell to Cortland in the 2006, 2004 and 1998 title matches.
- Second-year head coach Hunter Drews led Geneseo to back-to-back 20-win campaigns for the first time since 2005-2006 as well as its third-consecutive postseason appearance.
ABOUT THE HAWKS
- New Paltz qualified for its 15th-consecutive SUNYAC Tournament while compiling an 8-1 conference mark to clinch the second seed and a bye to its 13th-straight semifinal.
- Junior outside hitter Madison Van Pelt ranks fourth in the SUNYAC with 3.04 kills per set.
- Junior middle blocker Kerri Neville is first in the league with a .341 hitting percentage
- Senior setter Meredith Dignan is first in the SUNYAC with 9.75 assists per set and is 26th nationally with 1,063 total assists.
- New Paltz is 8-7 in the conference semifinals, falling to eventual champion Brockport, 3-0, last season to snap a streak of four-straight semifinal victories.
- The Hawks are in the hunt for their third SUNYAC Championship and first since sweeping Fredonia, 3-0, to win the 2014 title. In search of its ninth championship match appearance, New Paltz owns a 2-6 mark in the finals, including a 3-0 sweep of Cortland to clinch the 2009 crown.
- New Paltz is 3-1 against Oswego in the SUNYAC Tournament, including a 3-0 win in the 2015 semifinals. The Hawks swept the Lakers in the 2016 and 2012 quarterfinals while suffering a 3-0 sweep in the 1994 quarters.
- New Paltz is 6-3 versus Fredonia in the tournament, including two championship match meetings (2014 and in 2008 when Fredonia defeated the Hawks, 3-0).
- New Paltz is 3-4 against Geneseo in the SUNYAC Tournament, taking down the Knights, 3-0, in the 2011 quarterfinals and, 3-2, in the 2007 quarterfinals in their most recent meetings.
ABOUT THE BLUE DEVILS
- Fredonia compiled a 6-3 SUNYAC record to clinch the third seed for its 16th-consecutive SUNYAC Tournament. The Blue Devils are in the mix for their third championship match appearance in the last five seasons, including a 3-0 setback to Brockport last year.
- Fredonia moved past sixth-seeded Potsdam, 3-2 (23-25, 25-23, 21-25, 26-24, 15-7) in Tuesday's quarterfinals.
- Junior outside hitter SallyAnne Rudny led the way with 14 kills, 22 digs and four service aces while senior outside hitter Kailey Falk was credited with 19 kills and 22 digs.
- Rudney ranks third in the SUNYAC with 2.99 kills per set
- Sophomore middle blocker Emma Falk is second in the conference with 0.96 blocks per set.
- Senior libero Rachel Aiello is third in the SUNYAC with 4.39 digs per set.
- Fredonia is 4-8 in the SUNYAC Semifinals, including a 3-0 sweep of Geneseo a season ago. The Blue Devils defeated Buffalo State, 3-1, on the way to the 2014 championship match, after taking down Cortland (3-0) and New Paltz (3-1) in 2008 and 2007, respectively. Fredonia is 1-3 in four championship match showings.
- Fredonia is 3-6 versus New Paltz in the tournament, including two championship match meetings. Fredonia defeated New Paltz, 3-0, to win the 2008 championship before New Paltz won the 2014 title with a 3-0 sweep.
ABOUT THE LAKERS
- Oswego clinched its fourth SUNYAC Tournament appearance in the last five years and 11th overall after grabbing the sixth seed with a 4-5 conference mark.
- The Lakers upended two-time defending SUNYAC Champion and third-seeded Brockport, 3-2 (21-25, 25-23, 9-25, 26-24, 15-9) in Tuesday's quarterfinals. Sophomore outside hitter Melissa Lussier led the way with 14 kills while senior middle blocker Alison Sullivan added 12 kills. Five players reached double-figures in digs, including sophomore libero Emily Costa (26) and junior outside hitter Shauna O'Flaherty (21).
- Sullivan leads the SUNYAC with 1.08 blocks per set while junior middle blocker Lauren Fie ranks fourth with 0.79
- Oswego is facing New Paltz for the fifth time in SUNYAC Tournament history. The Lakers defeated the Hawks, 3-0, in the 1994 quarterfinals, but are winless in three other meetings, including 3-0 setbacks in the 2016 quarterfinals and the 2015 semifinals.
- Oswego is 1-3 in the SUNYAC Semifinals, including a 3-1 win over Cortland to cap three-consecutive appearances from 1992-94 under head coach Dani Drews (mother of current Geneseo coach Hunter Drews).
- The Lakers are 0-1 in their lone championship match appearance, falling to Brockport in 1994, 3-1.