OSWEGO, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo senior Rachel Ollis began her final season without losing a single game in two matches, leading the Knights to a 9-0 sweep of State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) rival Oswego on Friday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Ollis teamed with junior Vanessa Lam-Tran at second doubles to earn an 8-0 victory while reigning SUNYAC Doubles Team of the Year seniors Lauren Salzano and Anika Pornpitaksuk earned an 8-1 victory at first doubles.
- First-year doubles team Cate Gluchowski and Gretchen Ayoub earned their first collegiate victory with a 9-7 triumph at third doubles.
- Pornpitaksuk and Ollis each won 6-0, 6-0 at second and third singles, respectively, while junior Jennifer Buckhout earned a third set superbreaker victory, 6-3, 2-6, 10-4, at fifth singles.
- First-year Dana Sorrentino debuted with a win at sixth singles, taking the match in straight sets, 7-5, 7-5.
- Geneseo has now won 39 consecutive matches against SUNYAC opponents. The team's last loss to a conference foe came on Sept. 14, 2012, a 5-4 defeat at New Paltz.
- The Knights improved to 23-0 all-time against Oswego. It marks the most wins against another team without a loss in program history.
- Salzano leads the team with 54 career match wins, combining singles and doubles play.
Geneseo (1-0) will host Fredonia in the team's home opener on Thursday, Sept. 7. Match time is scheduled for 3:00 p.m.