GENESEO, N.Y. - The SUNY Geneseo women's swimming & diving team is set to compete in the State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) Championships, beginning Wednesday, Feb. 21, at Erie Community College in Buffalo. The Knights have won 25 conference championships, including each of the last 10, and will be seeking their 11th-consecutive title this week. Head coach Paul Dotterweich returns with several student-athletes from last year's conference champions, as well as a group of newcomers that could make an impact in their first year.
The SUNY Geneseo 800 free relay team, made up of senior Alida Mooney, juniors Sydney Ng and Nancy Nasky as well as first-year Rachel Wallisky, swam to a first-place finish to open the SUNYAC Championships for the Knights. The foursome clocked in at 7:41.44 to take the gold medal in the event.
SUNY Geneseo senior Natalie LaCourt and first-year Noelle Staso each contributed to a pair of relay victories as the Knights earned wins in four out of six events on day two of the SUNYAC Championships on Thursday. Senior Kaitlin Doherty and first-year Deidra Osula joined LaCourt and Staso in the 200 free relay, earning a first-place finish with an NCAA B Standard of 1:35.14. In the 400 medley relay, LaCourt and Staso teamed with junior Sydney Ng and first-year Lauren Siegel to take first with a time of 3:54.44. Siegel also earned first in the 200 IM (2:06.31) while junior Nancy Nasky earned her third-straight SUNYAC Championship in the 500 free with a first-place time of 5:01.27. Three Knights finished in the top four in the one-meter dive, with sophomore Samantha Reichman taking second (440.50), first-year Alyssa Vadala (433.50) in third and senior Emily Reiter (415.55) grabbing second.
The SUNY Geneseo 200 medley relay team formed by senior Natalie LaCourt and first-years Noelle Staso, Celeste Pace and Deidra Osula tied a SUNYAC record on their way to a first-place finish, to highlight the Knights' third day of competition at the State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) Championships on Friday at Erie Community College. The 200 medley relay team touched up in 1:46.10, tying a record set by the 2015 Geneseo relay team. Junior Sydney Ng led a stacked field in the 200 free with a first-place finish. Ng placed first with a time of 1:54.52, while junior Nancy Nasky took second, first-year Rachel Wallisky grabbed fifth and senior Kaitlin Doherty took eighth to cap a strong Geneseo showing in the event. Four Knights placed in the top six in the 400 IM, led by first-year Lauren Siegel, who turned in a first-place finish (4:33.97). The Knights have accumulated 668 team points over three days of competition, leading second-place New Paltz by over 300 points. Action will resume on Saturday with prelims beginning at 10:00 a.m. and finals to follow at 6:00 p.m.
|Date||Event||Name||Seed Time||Prelims||Finals (Champions in Bold)|
|Feb. 21||800 Free Relay||Geneseo|
|Ng, Mooney, Nasky, Wallisky||1. 7:41.44|
|Feb. 22||200 Free Relay||Geneseo||1. 1:35.14 NCAA B-Cut|
|Staso, Doherty, LaCourt, Osula|
|500 Free||Alida Mooney||5:18.65||5:17.12||7. 5:20.10|
|Nancy Nasky||5:07.75||4:57.58||1. 5:01.27|
|Sydney Ng||5:08.66||5:08.74||2. 5:05.42|
|Rachel Wallisky||5:12.13||5:10.95||3. 5:05.90|
|200 IM||Julia Caldwell||2:13.02||2:13.33||9. 2:11.38|
|Olivia Hilt||2:16.76||2:16.22||12. 2:14.11|
|Natalie LaCourt||2:14.07||2:13.77||10. 2:11.59|
|Celeste Pace||2:12.63||2:09.88||3. 2:09.84|
|Nancy Shemet||2:13.03||2:10.92||6. 2:11.06|
|Lauren Siegel||2:09.19||2:07.62||1. 2:06.31|
|50 Free||Annabelle Anich||24.70||24.98||16. 25.45|
|Kaitlin Doherty||24.91||24.56||6. 24.47|
|Maddie Knight||24.83||24.76||8. 24.86|
|Deidra Osula||24.59||23.97||2. 24.09|
|Sunita Singh||25.36||25.17||13. 25.17|
|Noelle Staso||24.46||24.33||3. 24.11|
|1-Meter||Samantha Reichman||2. 440.50|
|Emily Reiter||4. 415.55|
|Alyssa Vadala||3. 433.50|
|400 Medley Relay||Geneseo||1. 3:54.44|
|LaCourt, Staso, Siegel, Ng|
|Feb. 23||200 Medley Relay||Geneseo||1. 1:46.10 SUNYAC Record|
|LaCourt, Staso, Pace, Osula|
|400 IM||Julia Caldwell||4:41.44||4:43.14||2. 4:36.98|
|Nancy Shemet||4:43.26||4:42.29||5. 4:40.60|
|Lauren Siegel||4:36.63||4:34.34||1. 4:33.97|
|Paige Turcotte||4:57.19||4:47.81||6. 4:42.82|
|100 Fly||Olivia Hilt||59.84||59.47||6. 58.91|
|Maddie Knight||1:00.69||59.87||9. 59.26|
|Deidra Osula||1:01.03||58.19||2. 57.89|
|Celeste Pace||58.59||57.93||3. 58.02|
|200 Free||Kaitlin Doherty||1:59.98||1:58.55||6. 1:57.48|
|Alida Mooney||2:01.80||1:59.90||11. 2:00.31|
|Nancy Nasky||1:57.60||1:54.62||2. 1:53.12|
|Sydney Ng||1:54.79||1:54.52||1. 1:52.73|
|Rachel Wallisky||1:58.31||1:58.31||4. 1:55.07|
|100 Breast||Annabelle Anich||1:10.76||1:09.12||5. 1:09.12|
|Noelle Staso||1:07.13||1:06.72||2. 1:07.27|
|Paige Turcotte||1:11.05||1:08.40||4. 1:08.40|
|100 Back||Natalie LaCourt||59.14||58.72||2. 58.33|
|Sunita Singh||1:01.56||1:01.60||6. 1:01.33|
|Feb. 24||1650 Free||Alida Mooney||10:56.29|
|200 Back||Natalie LaCourt||2:10.85|
|100 Free||Annabelle Anich||54.63|
|200 Breast||Julia Caldwell||2:32.38|
|200 Fly||Olivia Hilt||2:17.54|
|400 Free Relay||Geneseo|
ABOUT THE KNIGHTS
- Geneseo will attempt to repeat its success in relay events after finishing first in last year's 200 free relay with an NCAA-B cut time (1:35.64), the 800 free relay (7:47.96) and the 400 free relay (3:32.84), while taking second in the 400 medley relay and 200 medley relay.
- Junior Sydney Ng returns as the reigning 200 Back champion after finishing first in 2:06.86. She also earned second in the 500 free and third in the 100 back.
- Last year's SUNYAC Swimmer of the Meet, junior Nancy Nasky, looks to defend her crowns in the 200 free, 500 free and the 1650 free. She led six Geneseo swimmers in the 500 free with a time of 5:02.99, followed shortly by Ng (second, 5:06.51), senior Alida Mooney (fourth, 5:17.23) and sophomore Alexandra Butler (sixth, 5:19.90). In the 1,650 free, Nasky finished with an NCAA-B standard time of 17:10.95, and went on to the NCAA Division III Swimming & Diving Championships where she earned All-America Honorable Mention with a SUNYAC and Geneseo record time of 17:04.51.
- Senior Kaitlin Doherty has her sights set on a 100 free championship after placing as the top Geneseo swimmer in the event last year, taking second with a time of 53.18.
- Sophomore Samantha Reichman, senior Emily Reiter and first-year Alyssa Vadala will represent the Knights in the diving competitions. Reichman finished third in the one-meter last season (457.10) and fourth in the three-meter (445.90) while Reiter placed in the top 10 in both events as well.