GENESEO, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo senior forward Domenica Piccoli scored twice, including the game-winner in the 70th minute, as the Knights defeated visiting Plattsburgh, 3-2, in the State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) semifinal on Wednesday afternoon at College Stadium.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Geneseo got on the board in the 16th minute of action. Senior midfielder Sarah Loprieno sprung Piccoli with a pass down Plattsburgh's right flank before Piccoli finished a 15-yard run with a short chip in front of the right post.
- The Knights took a 2-0 lead three minutes later after junior forward Ellie Gregory took a cross from sophomore forward Hannah Sullivan on the right wing and finished a 10-yard volley in the left half of the Cardinal goal.
- Plattsburgh evened the score on a pair of tallies by sophomore forward Kirsten Villemarie in the first 22 minutes of the second half. She scored on a long looping shot from the right wing in the 48th minute before beating a Geneseo back on a 20-yard run on goal for a 10-yard finish inside the right post in the 68th minute.
- Geneseo found the go-ahead goal on a corner kick in the 70th minute. Piccoli finished off a large scrum from inside the six-yard line, toe-poking the ball past the keeper for the eventual game-winner.
- Piccoli extended her team lead with 12 goals on the season, tallying her third multi-goal game of the year. She moves into a tie for eighth in program history with 29 career goals.
- Geneseo advances to the SUNYAC Championship game for the fourth-consecutive season and will host the championship for the third-straight year.
- The Knights have eliminated the Cardinals from postseason play in three-straight seasons, defeating Plattsburgh, 4-0, in the 2017 SUNYAC Championship and earning a 2-0 win over the Cardinals in the 2018 semifinals.
The Knights (18-2-1) advance to the SUNYAC Championship game to face No. 3 Cortland on Saturday, Nov. 9 at College Stadium.