PLATTSBURGH, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo senior midfielder Grace Dunnigan and sophomore forward Hannah Sullivan each tallied second half goals as the Knights rolled to a 2-0 victory over State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) rival Plattsburgh on Friday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Geneseo and Plattsburgh played an even first half despite the Cardinals outshooting the Knights, 9-2.
- Early in the second half, first-year forward Lindsay Wright played a through ball past the Plattsburgh defender on the right flank. Dunnigan ran the ball down and one-timed a shot past the charging goalkeeper inside the far post, putting the Knights ahead, 1-0.
- Sullivan added a goal in the 74th minute, chasing down a long ball past the defender and beating the goalkeeper with a left-footed shot as Geneseo gained a 2-0 lead.
- Junior goalkeeper Julia McDonald made three saves to preserve the shutout.
- Sullivan scored her sixth goal of the season, tying senior forward Domenica Piccoli for the team lead, while Dunnigan netted her second of the season.
- Wright registered her second assist of the season and has now tallied at least one point in each of her last three games, with six points in her last five contests.
- The Knights were outshot, 12-11, but placed six shots on goal while Plattsburgh managed just three on frame.
Geneseo (8-2-1, 2-0-1 SUNYAC) will travel to face Potsdam on Saturday afternoon at 1:00 p.m.