GENESEO, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo first-year forward Lindsay Wright scored in her second-consecutive game as the Knights settled for a draw against visiting Cortland, 1-1, on Saturday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Cortland nearly got out in front in the 12th minute, but the Red Dragons' shot rang off the crossbar. Geneseo struck just before halftime as Wright volleyed home a cross from senior midfielder Sarah Loprieno to make it 1-0.
- The Knights nearly added a second goal, piling on 10 second-half shots, but Cortland kept them out of the net.
- In the 85th minute the Red Dragons earned a penalty kick and leveled the score, 1-1. Cortland nearly took the lead three minutes later but junior goalkeeper Julia McDonald preserved the tie score with a diving save.
- In the 98th minute, Cortland had a chance to take the lead, heading a corner kick past McDonald, but first-year midfielder McKinley Skala cleared the ball off the goal line to prevent the scoring chance.
- Geneseo outshot Cortland, 28-7, including a 5-2 advantage in the two overtime periods.
- Loprieno notched her third assist of the season, tying sophomore midfielders Hannah Sullivan and Mackenzie Griffin for the team lead.
Geneseo 7-2-1 (1-0-1 SUNYAC) will return to action on Friday, Oct. 4 when they travel to Plattsburgh to face the Cardinals.