CORTLAND, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo junior forward Domenica Piccoli scored in the fifth minute of the game, but the Knights fell to host Cortland, 2-1, in a State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) battle on Friday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Cortland got on the board in the third minute on a defensive breakdown, snapping Geneseo's eight-game shutout streak to make it 1-0.
- Just under two minutes later, junior midfielder Grace Dunnigan crossed in a loose ball to the near post where sophomore forward Miranda Ozimek flicked it over the charging keeper and Piccoli knocked the ball in to tie the game.
- In the second half, Cortland struck again on a one-timer from close range to take a 2-1 advantage.
- Geneseo had opportunities but the Red Dragons held the Knights off.
- Piccoli notched her team-leading sixth goal of the season while Ozimek recorded her squad-best fourth assist.
- Geneseo held opponents scoreless for 758:00 consecutive minutes before conceding in the fourth minute of play. The Knights had not allowed a goal since September 12.
- Cortland earns its first win against Geneseo since 2011, a 1-0 victory in Geneseo.
The Knights will travel to Oswego to battle the Lakers in their final regular season SUNYAC match tomorrow at 1:00 p.m.