GENESEO, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo senior midfielder Caitie Cunningham scored the game's lone goal in the 64th minute to lead the Knights past State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) rival Plattsburgh, 1-0, on Saturday afternoon at College Stadium.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Geneseo and Plattsburgh played an even first half, with the Knights outshooting the visiting Cardinals, 7-6.
- In the 64th minute, sophomore forward Miranda Ozimek broke down a defender and gained space for a shot on the right side. Her strike rung off the crossbar to Cunningham, who fired a volley over the approaching goalkeeper and in, giving the Knights the lead.
- Senior goalkeeper Emily Janiszewski made four saves to preserve the shutout, her fifth of the season, as Geneseo stayed unbeaten at home.
- Cunningham's strike marked the senior's first career goal while Ozimek earned her team-leading fourth assist of the season on the play.
- Janiszewski has allowed just one goal in six contests and improved her season goal against average to 0.17.
- Geneseo has posted a 21-2-2 record in its last 25 home games, dating back to 2015.
The Knights will return to action on Friday, Sept. 28 when they play host to Buffalo State, with kickoff scheduled for 4:00 p.m.