GENESEO, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo senior forward Audrey Reid scored all three goals for the No. 9 Knights as they earned a 3-2 extra-time victory over State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) rival Oneonta on Friday afternoon at College Stadium.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Sophomore forward Domenica Piccoli beat a defender and was tripped in the box, earning a penalty kick. Reid stepped up to the 12-yard mark and buried the attempt into the upper-right corner to put Geneseo (8-0-1, 3-0-0 SUNYAC) ahead, 1-0.
- Just 1:50 later, Reid curled a corner kick from the left side to the near post, going just over the goalkeeper's hands an in the net.
- The Red Dragons (1-7-1, 1-2-0 SUNYAC) responded just before halftime, as senior midfielder Laura Rolston finished off a scramble in front to make it 2-1.
- In the 54th minute, Oneonta played a ball from the right flank to the far post where junior midfielder Seaver Lipshie trapped it down to junior midfielder Julie Steinhauer at the six-yard box, who put it away to tie the game, 2-2.
- Reid nearly completed a hat trick in the 60th minute with a second penalty kick attempt, but pushed this one wide of the left post.
- In the second overtime period, the Knights earned a free kick nearly 25 yards out. Reid drove the ball on the ground, sneaking it just inside the near post for the game-winning goal.
- The Knights tie the best start in program history with the victory. In 1994, Geneseo began the year with an 8-0-1 mark through nine games before suffering its first loss. That team advanced to the NCAA National semifinals.
- Geneseo earned its first overtime win of the season, improving to 1-0-1 in overtime games this season. The team tied Farmingdale State, 1-1 (Sept. 17).
- Reid recorded her first-career hat trick and her second career multi-game goal (two goals vs. Alfred, Sept. 1, 2015).
Geneseo hosts New Paltz on Saturday at 1:00 p.m. in another conference tilt.