GENESEO, N.Y. – The SUNY Geneseo women's lacrosse team fell to visiting Brockport, 13-4, in the State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) Tournament Championship game, Saturday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Tied, 1-1, with 18:21 left in the first half, Brockport scored five-straight goals for a 6-1 lead with 5:48 on the clock.
- First-year midfielder Emma Gaenzle scored on a free-position attempt with 31 second left in the half, but the Golden Eagles tallied with five seconds on the clock to carry a 7-2 lead into intermission.
- Brockport scored the first six goals of the second half to take a commanding 13-2 lead with 14:10 left in regulation.
- Geneseo (14-5) sophomore Hannah Marafioti was held without a point for the first time in her two-year career. She set a program record with 87 points this spring while her 64 goals are the second-highest single season total as well.
- Geneseo made its ninth appearance in the SUNYAC Championship game and first since back-to-back showings in 2013 and 2014.
- Top-seeded Geneseo hosted the SUNYAC Semifinals and Championship game for only the second time in conference history and for the first time since 2005.
- Third-seeded Brockport (15-4) defeated sixth-seeded New Paltz, 17-8, in the quarterfinals before taking down 20-time defending SUNYAC Champion Cortland, 17-12, in the semifinals on Friday.
Geneseo awaits the announcement of the 2019 NCAA Division III Tournament bracket. The Knights will be in the mix for an at-large spot in the 42-team, to be released on ncaa.com on Sunday (May 5) at 9:30PM.
2019 SUNYAC Women's Lacrosse All-Tournament Team
Cortland - Carly Stone
Oswego - Danielle Walker
Geneseo - Tessa Doody
Geneseo - Megan Henderson
Geneseo - Mallory Max
Geneseo - Hannah Marafioti
Brockport - Chloe Kurst
Brockport - Nikki Nolan
Brockport - Jade Williams
Brockport - Victoria Thompson
Brockport - Morgan Elmer
Brockport - Heather Conklin (MVP)