BUFFALO, N.Y. – SUNY Geneseo sophomore midfielder Megan Henderson scored four goals to lead the No. 24 Knights to a 16-4 decision at Buffalo State, Wednesday, in State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) women's lacrosse action.
Geneseo (12-4, 8-0 SUNYAC) clinched the top seed for the upcoming SUNYAC Tournament and will host and opponent to be determined in the semifinals next Friday (May 3) at 12:30 p.m. The winner advances to the championship game on Saturday (May 4) at 1:00 p.m., also to be played at Geneseo.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Geneseo opened an 11-0 halftime lead, including three tallies apiece by Henderson and sophomore attacker Hannah Marafioti.
- The Knights scored the first five goals of the second half, including two by junior midfielder Tessa Doody, for a 16-0 advantage with 14:25 left in regulation.
- Doody and senior defender Mallory Max each finished the game with three goals while sophomore attacker Nicole Voci totaled four assists. Max also led the squad with four draw controls while Marafioti and Max led the way with five and four ground balls, respectively.
- Geneseo is the top seed and host site for the SUNYAC Tournament for only the second time in program history and first time in 14 years. The Knights defeated Brockport, 13-7, in the 2005 semifinals before falling to Cortland, 14-6, in the championship.
- Marafioti scored her 78th point this spring to move into a tie with Caroline Buonocore '13 for the second-highest scoring season in program history and is only one point shy of the program-record 79 scored by Maggie Morris '09 in 2009. She also tallied her 57th goal of the year to tie Maggie Benham '07 for the fourth-highest single-season goal total ever by a Knight.
Geneseo closes the regular season with a trip to Potsdam on Saturday (Apr. 27) for a 3:00 p.m. start with the Bears.