BROCKPORT, N.Y. – SUNY Geneseo senior midfielder Mallory Max scored five goals while sophomore forward Hannah Marafioti added three goals and an assist to lead the Knights to a 13-11 victory at No. 25 Brockport in State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) women's lacrosse play, Wednesday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Geneseo scored three-consecutive goals to take a 3-1 lead in the first seven minutes of the game before the Golden Eagles tallied for a 3-2 score with 19:33 left in the first half.
- Max kicked off a 4-0 run that included back-to-back goals by sophomore attacker Jacqui Thorsen as the Knights built a 7-2 lead with 9:44 on the clock.
- The Golden Eagles scored the next four goals to pull within one, 7-6, with 23:30 remaining in the second half, before consecutive scores by Marafioti and Max pushed Geneseo back to a 9-6 lead at 20:07.
- Brockport once again responded with two goals to make it a 9-8 game with 15:02 remaining. However, two goals apiece by Max and Marafioti accounted for a 4-1 Knights surge that yielded a 13-9 lead with 4:36 remaining that proved insurmountable.
- The Knights clinched their 19th SUNYAC Tournament berth in the last 21 years with the victory.
- Geneseo won its sixth-consecutive game while handing Brockport its first loss in eight outings.
- Thorsen finished with three goals while grabbing a team-high six draw controls.
- Junior defender Caroline McGuigan scooped a career-high nine ground balls as the Knights finished with a 27-22 advantage.
- First-year goalie Margaret Rosaschi totaled eight saves to improve to 7-2 this spring.
Geneseo hosts Cortland on Saturday (Apr. 20) for a 1:00 p.m. start.