GENEVA, N.Y. – SUNY Geneseo senior midfielder Mallory Max and sophomore attacker Nicole Voci each scored two goals and an assist, but it was host William Smith coming back for a 13-10 win over the Knights, Friday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Geneseo built a 3-0 lead with 16:20 left in the first half before the Herons responded with three goals of their own to knot the game, 3-3, at 11:21.
- Voci kicked off another 3-0 surge by the Knights capped by a Max tally with 45 second left in the half. However, William Smith scored with 11 seconds left in the first and opened the second with another tally to pull within one, 6-5, with 27:41 on the clock.
- Geneseo sophomore midfielder Megan Henderson made it a 7-5 edge at 26:23, but the Herons re-tied the game with two goals in a 31-second span for a 7-7 game with 24:17 left in regulation.
- Voci and sophomore attacker Hannah Marafioti pushed the visitors back ahead, 9-7, at 21:30, but William Smith answered again with back-to-back tallies for a 9-9 score at 16:41.
- Geneseo re-claimed a 10-9 lead on a tally by senior midfielder Maddie Lee off a Voci feed at 16:10, but the Herons scored four-unanswered tallies down the stretch to earn the win.
- Geneseo finished the game with a 26-21 ground ball advantage, including a team-high six by junior defender Cassidy O'Rourke. Sophomore defender Caitlyn Merkel also had five ground balls to go along with four draw controls.
- First-year goalie Maragaret Rosaschi totaled 11 saves in her first career start as William Smith out-shot the Knights, 32-19.
Geneseo opens State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) play on Saturday (March 30) at Plattsburgh with a 3:00 p.m. start.