ROCHESTER, N.Y. – SUNY Geneseo senior midfielder Mallory Max scored two goals, including the overtime game-winning tally, while sophomore attacker Nicole Voci totaled four goals and two assists to lead the Knights to a 13-12 victory at RIT, Wednesday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- RIT opened a 4-1 lead with 16:26 left in the first half but a 4-1 Knights' surge bookended by a pair of Voci tallies knotted the game, 5-5, with 5:02 on the clock.
- The Tigers scored the final tally of the first half and opened the second half with another to take a 7-5 lead with 23:20 left in regulation.
- Sophomore attackers Hannah Marafioti and Jacqui Thorsen answered with a pair of goals in the next minute to re-tie the game, 7-7, at 22:28, but RIT used a 3-1 run to re-take a 10-8 lead with 15:03 on the clock.
- Max kicked off a 4-0 Geneseo spurt that yielded Geneseo's first lead of the game, 12-10, with 6:22 left in regulation. However, the Tigers scored back-to-back tallies to tie the game with 1:45 left on the clock to force overtime.
- Max took possession of the ball at the top of the RIT zone and drove through the Tiger defense to score on a five-yard shot for the deciding tally.
- Marafioti and Thorsen each finished with two goals and two assists each.
- Geneseo finished with a 31-26 advantage in shots.
- The Knights won 18 of 28 draw controls, led by a game-best eight from sophomore defender Caitlyn Merkel.
- Max also picked up a team-best seven ground balls.
- Geneseo played its second-straight overtime affair. The Knights fell to visiting Montclair State (N.J.), 14-13, in double-overtime this past Sunday.
Geneseo heads to William Smith on Friday for a 4:00 p.m. draw.