GENESEO, N.Y. – SUNY Geneseo sophomore attacker Hannah Marafioti scored five goals, but it was visiting Montclair State earning the 14-13 double-overtime victory, Sunday, at College Stadium.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Red Hawks opened a 6-3 first-half lead with 6:22 on the clock following a 5-0 surge.
- Geneseo responded with a 3-0 run to knot the score, 6-6 with 1:15 left before Montclair scored with :04 on the clock to lead 7-6 at halftime.
- The Knights (3-3) took an 8-7 lead on goals by sophomore attacker Jacqui Thorsen and senior midfielder Maddie Lee in the first two minutes of the second half.
- The Red Hawks scored four-straight goals to take an 11-8 lead with 16:40 left in regulation.
- Geneseo put together a 3-1 run to make it a one-goal game at 10:54. Montclair responded with a goal at 9:43, but junior midfielder Tessa Doody tallied at 9:15 before Marafioti's fifth tied the game, 13-13, with 7:31 left.
- After a scoreless first overtime, Montclair senior midfielder Erin Campbell scored from close range on a shot that deflected off first-year goalie Margaret Rosaschi and just dribbled over the goal line 1:48 into the second extra period to close the game.
- Geneseo finished the game with a 39-36 shooting advantage.
- The Knights won 19-of-31 draw controls, including a game-high seven by Thorsen.
- Senior midfielder Mallory Max finished with a team-high five caused turnovers.
Geneseo travels to RIT for a 4:00 p.m. start on Wednesday (March 27).