ENGLEWOOD, Fla. – SUNY Geneseo sophomore attacker Hannah Marafioti scored five goals but it was Stevenson (Md.) using a late run to earn the 15-12 victory over the Knights, Sunday, in a Spring Break game played in Florida. It was the squad's first loss after opening the season with three-straight victories.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Marfioti opened the scoring one minute into the contest as the teams before Stevenson answered with back-to-back goals to take a 2-1 lead with 23:05 left in the first half.
- The Knights put together a 3-1 run to lead, 4-3, at 15:31 and later built a 6-4 edge with 3:45 to play in the half. Stevenson scored a 2-1 run over the last two minutes as Genseo carried a 7-6 lead into halftime.
- Geneseo led, 10-8, with 16:50 left in regulation, but the Mustangs out-scored Geneseo, 6-0 over the next 14 minutes to take a 14-10 lead with 3:00 left in the game that proved to be the difference.
- Sophomore attacker Jacqui Thorsen finished the game with three goals and an assist along with three draw controls.
- Geneseo finished with a 20-7 advantage in draw controls, including seven by sophomore midfielder Megan Henderson as well as six by sophomore defender Caitlyn Merkel.
Geneseo will play another game in Englewood, Fla. on Wednesday, facing Denison (Ohio) at 5:00 p.m.