GENESEO, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo sophomore midfielder Megan Henderson and sophomore attacker Hannah Marafioti each scored three goals and two assists to lead the Knights to a 15-6 victory against visiting Clarkson, Wednesday evening.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Golden Knights opened scoring in the 13th minute when junior attacker Aubrey Borgesi scored in front of the crease.
- Geneseo senior defender Mallory Max, sophomore midfielder Tessa Doody and sophomore attacker Lindsay Hernady each scored one goal in the next three minutes to earn the Knights a 3-1 lead.
- Doody netted a goal for Geneseo with just over five minutes left in the first half before the Golden Knights scored to cut the deficit to two, 4-2, with 48 seconds left in the first half.
- Geneseo led 6-4 with 16:57 to play before pulling away with a 5-0 run over the next five minutes to build a 11-4 lead with 10:59 to play in regulation. Henderson and Marafioti scored two goals each and Doody found the net once during the spurt.
- The Knights closed the game outscoring Clarkson, 4-2, including goals by Henderson, sophomore midfielder Tess LaVigne, Marafioti and sophomore attacker Jacqui Thorsen.
- Senior goalie Tess McFadden made a season-high 11 saves as Geneseo out-shot Clarkson, 41-24.
- Max and LaVigne finished with two goals each while Hernady and Thorsen scored once.
- Henderson, Marafioti, and Max lead the team with five ground balls each.
- Geneseo won 17 of 23 draw controls including seven by Henderson and six by sophomore defender Caitlyn Merkel.
The Knights travel to Englewood, Florida to take on Stevenson (Md.) on Sunday (March 17) at 10 a.m.