ENGLEWOOD, Fla. - SUNY Geneseo senior midfielder Erin Cregan totaled four goals and an assist while senior attacker Rachel Fisher added two goals and four assists to lead the No. 21 Knights to a 15-11 victory over No. 17 Hamilton in a game played at Dever Park in Englewood, Fla.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Hamilton (1-3) scored twice in the first 1:16 of the game, but an extra-man tally by senior attacker Hannah Millich followed by a Cregan tally quickly knotted the score, 2-2, at 26:17.
- The Continentals broke a 3-3 tie with two goals to lead 5-3 at 15:50, but the Knights closed the first half with three-unanswered scores to carry a 6-5 edge after the first 30 minutes of play.
- Geneseo (3-0) started the second half with a 5-0 run, including two free-position conversions by Cregan as well as back-to-back tallies by first-year attacker Hannah Marafioti, to build an 11-5 edge with 21:20 remaining.
- Hamilton responded with a 4-0 run to pull within two, 11-9, at 15:31, but the Knights scored the next four goals to take a 15-9 lead with 6:52 on the clock that proved insurmountable.
- Geneseo end the contest with a 21-18 advantage in ground balls, including a team-high four by sophomore defender Cassidy O'Rourke and three apiece by Fisher and Millich.
- Hamilton finished the game with a 17-11 advantage in draw controls, despite a game-high seven by Knights senior midfielder Karen Boronczyk.
- Junior goalie Tess McFadden stopped five Hamilton shots to earn the victory in net as Geneseo out-shot Hamilton, 34-20.
- Geneseo has beaten two ranked teams in its first three contests of the season, also earning a 12-9 win over then No. 5 William Smith (Feb. 28)
The Knights continue their Florida trip on Thursday (March 15), taking on Eastern Connecticut at 2:00 p.m. at Ross Park in Port Charlotte.