GENESEO, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo first-year attacker Hannah Marafioti scored five goals in her collegiate debut as the Knights earned a 12-9 victory over No. 5 William Smith in the season opener at College Stadium Wednesday evening.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Senior attacker Hannah Millich opened the scoring with a free-position goal but the Herons responded with three-straight scores to take a 3-1 lead midway through the first half. Senior attacker Rachel Fisher added a free-position goal, cutting the deficit to one, but William Smith tacked on another goal in the final two minutes to take a 4-2 lead into halftime.
- Geneseo opened the second period with six-consecutive goals to take an 8-4 lead. Senior attacker Erin Cregan began the scoring just 36 seconds into the period and junior midfielder Carly Cullen tied the game just under five minutes later with a quick-stick goal off a pass from Fisher.
- Cregan put the Knights ahead, 5-4, with a free-position shot and Marafioti added back-to-back scores to make it 7-4 with 18:09 to go. Millich capped the Knights' run with a goal at the 16:45 mark to put the home team ahead, 8-4.
- The Herons and Knights alternated goals for the rest of the contest, with Geneseo maintaining a three-goal lead and earning the victory.
- Junior goalkeeper Tess McFadden made four saves to earn the victory in net, while senior defender Karen Boronczyk finished with a team-high four draw controls and a ground ball.
- Geneseo forced 11 caused turnovers, led by sophomore defender Caroline McGuigan, Cregan and junior midfielder Mallory Max, each with two.
- Cregan finished with a pair of goals, added three draw controls and two ground balls while Fisher recorded a goal and four assists.
- The Knights have won their season-opener in each of the last six seasons, including a 3-2 victory over William Smith to open the 2016 campaign.
The Knights will play host to Rochester on Saturday, March 3, with the first draw set for 1:00 p.m.