ROCHESTER, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo junior guard Natalie Alfieri scored a team-high 16 points and added nine rebounds as the Knights held onto a one-point victory to defeat host RIT, 55-54, on Saturday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Alfieri scored eight points in the first quarter, including a pair of three-pointers but the Knights trailed by as many as six points in the opening frame. Junior guard Lindsay Halpin drilled a three in the final seconds to cut the deficit to 19-18 at the end of the period.
- Geneseo opened the second quarter with a 10-4 run, capped by six-straight from Alfieri, to take a 28-23 lead with 6:06 to play in the half. Geneseo entered the halftime break leading, 36-31.
- The Knights and Tigers battled through an even third quarter, but the Tigers came storming back in the final frame. RIT used an 11-2 run to tie the game, 52-52, with 3:22 to play.
- On the Knights' next possession, Halpin drilled a go-ahead triple, but RIT cut the lead to one point, 55-54, with 39 seconds to play. The Tigers forced a Geneseo turnover with nine seconds left for a chance to win the game, but Halpin came away with a steal to seal the Geneseo victory.
- Junior forward Kerrin Montgomery finished with 13 points and eight rebounds.
- The Knights were held to a season-low 23-for-66 (34.8%) shooting from the field, and went just 2-for-8 from the foul line.
- Geneseo has won four of its last five meetings against RIT, with four of the five games being decided by three points or fewer.
Geneseo (3-0) hosts Morrisville on Tuesday, Nov. 19 at 6:00 p.m.