GENESEO, N.Y. – SUNY Geneseo senior McKenna Brooks totaled 22 points and seven rebounds while sophomore guard Lindsay Halpin added 20 points and six assists to lead the Knights to a 68-65 victory over visiting Cortland, Friday, in State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) women's basketball action.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Geneseo opened the game with a 14-6 lead, including eight points by McKenna, but the Red Dragons answered with an 8-0 run to knot the game, 14-14, with 2:34 left in the first quarter.
- Cortland hit the first basket of the second quarter, but the Knights pieced together a 16-3 run over the next four minutes, including seven points by Halpin, to build a 30-19 lead with 4:43 on the clock.
- A pair of Halpin free throws staked the Knights to a 37-26 lead with 2:05 left in the half, before five-straight Red Dragon points pulled the visitors within six, 37-31, with 43 seconds on the clock. However a pair of McKenna free throws followed by an Halpin three-pointer at the buzzer yielded a 42-31 halftime edge.
- The Knights took a 13-point lead, 46-33, after a Montgomery lay-up at 8:47 of the third quarter, but were held without a basket the rest of the quarter during a 14-0 Cortland run that yielded a 47-46 lead for the visitors.
- Brooks broke the scoring drought with a lay-up at 9:35 of the fourth-quarter to kick start a 14-6 Geneseo run over the next six minutes. Brooks accounted for eight points during the run, including a nice up-and-under move in the low post that gave the Knights a 60-55 lead with 3:52 left in regulation.
- Cortland (12-12, 8-9 SUNYAC) scored five-straight points to tie the game, 60-60, with 3:08 remaining. Poplawski hit a jumper from the top of the lane with 2:53 left, but Cortland answered with a three-pointer on an inbound play for a 63-32 edge with 1:10 left.
- Halpin sank two free throws with 47.6 on the clock before the Red Dragons answered with two of their own to re-take a 65-64 lead with 36.7 remaining. Halpin drew another foul on a drive in the lane before converting two more free-throws that gave Geneseo a 66-65 lead with 29.2 on the clock.
- Geneseo forced a turnover on Cortland's ensuing possession after Poplowski tipped a pass away from a Red Dragon guard with 15 seconds on the clock. Halpin put the game away with two more free-throws with 8.8 seconds left.
- Geneseo (21-3, 14-3 SUNYAC) finished the game shooting 53.7 percent from the floor, including 66.7 (6-of-9) in the fourth quarter after hitting 8-of-11 shots (72.7 percent) in the second quarter.
- Brooks hit nine of the 11 field goal attempts for a season-high 81.8 shooting percentage.
- The Knights converted 17 fast break points to Cortland's three.
- Halpin finished the game a flawless 12-for-12 from the free-throw line to lead Geneseo's 19-for-20 performance as a team. She entered the game having only hit 18-of-20 free throws combined in the Knights' previous 23 games this season.
Geneseo hosts Oswego on Saturday (Feb. 16) at 2:00 p.m. to close the regular season. The Knights would lock up the second seed and a first-round bye for the SUNYAC Tournament with a victory.