GENESEO, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo senior guard Kelsey Poplawski scored 12 points to lead the Knights to a State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) victory over Brockport, 68-49, on Saturday afternoon at Schrader Gymnasium.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Brockport jumped out to an early 9-4 lead, but sophomore guard Lindsay Halpin scored Geneseo's first eight points and Poplawski finished a layup to put the Knights ahead, 10-9. Geneseo closed the quarter on a 14-3 run to move ahead, 18-12, before the end of the frame.
- The Knights extended their lead in the second period, outscoring the Golden Eagles, 18-13, to go ahead 36-25 at halftime.
- Halpin opened the third quarter with a three-point play that spurred a 12-0 Knights run. Senior forward McKenna Brooks finished a layup in the final minute to give Geneseo a 56-30 lead entering the final frame.
- The Knights held Brockport at bay in the fourth quarter, never allowing the Golden Eagles to within fewer than 19 points as they cruised to the victory.
- Nine Knights finished with a field goal, including 12 points from Poplawski and 11 from Halpin. Sophomore forward Kerrin Montgomery scored 10 while Brooks finished with nine points and a team-high 10 rebounds.
- Geneseo outrebounded Brockport, 44-25, and allowed just five offensive rebounds.
- The Knights shot 5-for-12 from beyond the arc as junior guard Madison McCulley and Poplawski each netted two triples.
- Geneseo held its opponent to under 50 points for the seventh time this season.
Geneseo will travel to Brockport to face the Golden Eagles again on Tuesday, Feb. 12 at 5:30 p.m.