GENESEO, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo sophomore guard Lindsay Halpin scored 16 points, dished off 10 assists and recorded five steals as the Knights rolled to an 84-66 victory over State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) foe Buffalo State on Tuesday night.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Knights jumped out to an early lead as junior guard Sara Ciotti buried a three to put the Knights ahead, 10-2. Geneseo dominated the offensive glass in the opening quarter, using eight offensive rebounds to net a pair of second-chance buckets as they built an 18-8 lead after the first.
- Geneseo extended their lead even further in the second, outscoring the Bengals, 26-10, in the period to gain a 44-18 advantage at halftime. The Knights forced Buffalo State into 17 first-half turnovers, recording 15 steals to keep the Bengals at bay.
- Halpin scored 11 of her 16 points in the third quarter, shooting 4-for-4, including three triples, to lead the Knights as they maintained a 26-point lead heading into the fourth quarter.
- In the final frame, Buffalo State outscored Geneseo, 22-14, drawing to within 17 points, 77-60, with 3:46 to go before the Knights sealed the victory.
- Geneseo had three players in double digits as Halpin and Ciotti each scored 16 points while senior forward McKenna Brooks had 14.
- The Knights knocked down a season-high 13 three-pointers, shooting 41.9% from beyond the arc.
- Geneseo recorded a season-high 19 steals and tied a season-high with 23 assists.
Geneseo will host Oneonta in another SUNYAC matchup on Friday at 5:30 p.m. in Schrader Gym. The team will partner with Geneseo SAAC for its annual Souper Bowl Canned Food Drive - Bring two canned goods to receive free admission to the game.