FREDONIA, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo sophomore guard Lindsay Halpin finished with a career-high 22 points while senior forward Nicole Kaczmarczyk recorded her first career double-double with 12 points and 11 rebounds to lead the Knights to an 85-62 victory over Fredonia in State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) play on Tuesday night.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Geneseo started the game 7-for-7 from the floor, including 2-for-2 from beyond the arc, to open the contest with a 20-5 lead. The Blue Devils outscored the Knights, 10-4 the rest of the frame and netted a three-pointer at the buzzer to close the quarter trailing, 24-15.
- Fredonia cut the deficit to four points with a 5-0 start to the second quarter, but Halpin drilled a three with 7:39 remaining in the first half to quell the run. The Knights extended the lead to 11 points, taking a 44-33 advantage into the halftime break.
- In the third quarter, Geneseo led by as many as 13 points, but Fredonia mounted a 9-0 run to make it 52-48 with 2:28 to go in the period. Halpin connected on two threes and senior forward McKenna Brooks added a pair of free throws as the Knights responded with an 8-0 run to close the quarter with a 60-48 advantage headed into the fourth.
- Brooks and Halpin combined for 13 fourth-quarter points, including the Knights' final six, as Geneseo outscored the hosts, 25-14 in the final frame to pull away.
- Brooks finished with 17 points while sophomore guard Natalie Alfieri scored 13 and junior guard Sara Ciotti added 10.
- Geneseo shot a season-best 62.5% (30-for-48) from the floor, including 7-for-10 from beyond the arc. The clip is Geneseo's best shooting mark since Jan. 20, 2018 when the team shot 63.3% (31-for-49) in a win over Potsdam, 83-37.
- The Knights have scored at least 80 points in three-straight games for the first time since 1996. The team has scored 75.3 points per game so far this season, the squad's highest scoring average since the 1997-98 season (75.9).
Geneseo (11-0, 5-0) will travel to Oneonta to face the Red Dragons on Friday with tip-off scheduled for 5:30 p.m.