YORK, Pa. - SUNY Geneseo sophomore forward Kerrin Montgomery finished with 15 points and 11 rebounds as the Knights held off a second-half rally to defeat Lycoming, 55-49, in the Coaches vs. Cancer Classic hosted by York College (Pa.) on Friday night.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Knights held Lycoming to a 2-for-15 shooting clip in the first quarter and finished the frame on an 8-0 run, led by a pair of triples from senior guard Kelsey Poplawski, to take a 17-4 lead.
- Senior forward Alyssa Lesakowski opened the second period with a layup to extend the lead to 15 points, the Knights' largest of the game, but the Warriors outscored Geneseo, 18-12, in the second frame to cut into the lead.
- After the halftime break, the Knights extended their lead back to double-digits, taking a 40-30 advantage with 4:13 remaining in the period, but Lycoming finished the frame on an 8-0 run to cut Geneseo's edge to 40-38 entering the final quarter.
- In the final period, Montgomery scored four points, grabbed five rebounds and blocked a shot as the Knights held off the Warriors to earn the win.
- Poplawski finished with 15 points while senior forward McKenna Brooks scored eight, grabbed 10 rebounds, recorded three blocks and a steal.
- Sophomore guard Lindsay Halpin pulled 10 boards and dished off a season-high eight assists.
- The Knights outrebounded the Warriors, 48-23, including 14 offensive rebounds, and scored 19 second-chance points while holding Lycoming to just two.
- Geneseo committed a season-high 23 turnovers while Lycoming committed just six.
The Knights will take on host York (Pa.) in the championship of the Coaches vs. Cancer Classic on Saturday at 3:00 p.m.