GENESEO, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo junior guard Kelsey Poplawski recorded a career-high 22 points while junior forward McKenna Brooks added 12 points and 12 rebounds as the Knights earned their tenth-straight victory with a 72-56 win over State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) foe Fredonia at Schrader Gymnasium on Tuesday night.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Geneseo (11-1, 6-0 SUNYAC) battled Fredonia (6-8, 4-3 SUNYAC) in the first quarter, taking an 11-8 lead on a Poplawski three-pointer with 4:57 to go, but the Blue Devils responded with a 10-2 run to take an 18-13 lead. Brooks answered with four-straight points to close the quarter, bringing the Knights to within one, 18-17.
- In the second quarter, Geneseo took the lead on a pair of free throws by sophomore guard Madison McCulley, 22-20, with 5:05 to play. First-year forward Kerrin Montgomery keyed an 8-1 run to push the Knights' lead to 30-21 with 2:41 to go. The Blue Devils cut into the lead before halftime as Geneseo entered the break leading, 34-28.
- The Knights built up an eight-point lead in the third quarter, but Fredonia used a 9-2 run to make it a one-point game, 43-42, with 3:27 remaining in the period. Brooks scored six of the Knights' next 10 points as the home team pulled out to a 53-47 lead entering the fourth quarter.
- In the final frame, the Knights outscored the Blue Devils, 19-9, fueled by eight points from first-year guard Natalie Alfieri, to close out the victory.
- Brooks recorded her second-straight double-double and recorded four steals, while Alfieri scored in double-digits (16) for the third time in four games.
- Sophomore guard Natalie DiSalvo finished with a career-high eight points.
- The Knights have won the last 23 meetings against conference foe Fredonia, dating back to the 2001-02 season.
- Geneseo committed a season-low eight turnovers and reached double-digit steals (12) for the eighth time this year.
Geneseo will return to action on Friday night, when they host SUNYAC rival Buffalo State, with tip-off scheduled for 5:30 p.m.