CORTLAND, N.Y. – The SUNY Geneseo softball team fell just short of repeating as State University of New York Athletic Conference champions, falling to host Cortland, 2-0, in the final game of the tournament.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Cortland scored a run in the bottom of the third inning and added another in the bottom of the fourth to take a 2-0 lead.
- Geneseo's best chance to score came in the top of the sixth inning when senior pitcher Jasmine Petrishin hit a pinch-hit single, senior outfielder Alyssa Persich drew a walk and junior pitcher Ashlyn Kersch singled, but the Knights left the bases loaded.
- Down to their final strike, senior catcher Taylor Fedor kept the Knights alive with a double down the left field line but failed to come around to score as the Red Dragons closed out the game to earn the SUNYAC Championship.
- Senior pitcher Taylor Moore started the game and allowed one run on two hits over 2.2 innings pitched. Kersch pitched 2.2 innings, allowing one run on four hits, before Petrishin entered to record the final two outs for the Knights.
- Junior infielder Abbey Whitney, junior outfielder Hannah Elmer, junior pitcher Ashlyn Kersch and senior outfielder Danni Napoli were named to the All-Tournament Team.
- Geneseo was the only SUNYAC institution to compete in all five spring SUNYAC Championships.
Geneseo awaits its fate as it seeks an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament. The Knights are 33-10, earning more than 30 wins in back-to-back season for the first time in program history. The NCAA Selection Show will air at 1:00 p.m. on Monday, and will release all of the NCAA Regionals.