FREDONIA, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo senior pitcher Taylor Moore and junior pitcher Ashlyn Kersch allowed just nine hits combined as the Knights defeated Fredonia, 7-4 and 4-0, in State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) play, Sunday afternoon.
GAME 1 - Geneseo 7, Fredonia 4
- The Blue Devils scored the first run in the second but a sacrifice fly by senior outfielder Alyssa Persich allowed junior infielder Brooke Wolff to cross the plate tying the score at 1-1.
- Senior outfielder Danni Napoli batted in two runs in the fifth inning while junior infielder Abbey Whitney and senior catcher Taylor Fedor each earned an RBI to close out the top half of the inning as the Knights gained a 5-1 lead.
- Fredonia closed the gap, making it a one-run game in the sixth inning, but junior catcher Hannah Elmer launched a two-run home run in the seventh inning, her fifth of the season, to extend the lead to 7-4
GAME 2 - Geneseo 4, Fredonia 0
- Kersch faced 25 batters, just four above the minimum, and allowed just two hits over seven innings of shutout pitching. She also opened the scoring with a home run to center field in the first inning.
- Napoli furthered the Knights lead to 2-0 with a solo home run of her own in the third.
- Fedor hit a sacrifice fly in the fourth inning and Kersch hit a second home-run to seal the victory in the fifth.
- Napoli moved into the top 10 for all-time RBIs; after earning three she sits in eighth place with 83.
- Moore now ranks seventh for all-times wins on the pitching mound with 33 while Kersch ranks 11th with 27.
- Elmer is currently placed fifth for single season slugging average with .727, while Wolff is tied for fourth with four single-season triples.
- The Knights accumulated just five hits in game two, but three were home runs.
- Kersch's two home runs marked the first multi-homer game by a Knight since senior infielder Anna Merante belted two homers in a 9-7 victory at Fredonia on April 23, 2017.
- The Knights' four pitchers (sophomore Nicole Schwartz, senior Jasmine Petrishin, Moore and Kersch) have combined to hit 33-for-94 (.351) with 10 doubles, three home runs, 21 RBI and 18 runs scored.
Geneseo returns home to face SUNYAC competitor Oswego in a doubleheader to start at 3 p.m. on Friday (April 12).