ALFRED, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo junior outfielder Hannah Elmer had four hits and four RBI to lead the Knights, who combined for 21 runs on 27 hits, as they swept Alfred in a pair of non-conference games on Wednesday.
GAME 1 - Geneseo 13, Alfred 10 (8 inn.)
- In the top of the second, senior catcher Taylor Fedor, junior outfielder Hannah Elmer and junior pitcher Ashlyn Kersch strung together consecutive singles to load the bases for junior infielder Abbey Whitney, who laced a two-run single to left-center field. Three batters later, senior infielder Kylie Papagelos battled through a 12-pitch at-bat before squeezing an RBI single through the left side. Senior outfielder Danni Napoli was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded before Fedor drove an RBI single up the middle as the Knights took a 5-0 lead.
- Geneseo added two more runs in the top of the third as junior infielder Brooke Wolff singled home a run and scored on an error later in the inning, making it 7-0.
- Alfred added a run in the bottom of the third, but Geneseo plated two more in the top of the fourth to take a 9-1 lead.
- The Saxons came all the way back from an eight-run deficit to tie the game, scoring two in the fourth, four in the fifth and two more in the sixth, tying the game, 9-9, and forcing extra innings.
- In the top of the eighth, senior outfielder Alyssa Persich led off with a bunt single advancing the designated tiebreaker runner to third. Two batters later, Napoli drove in the run with a hard grounder to the left side, giving the Knights the lead. Later in the inning, Elmer laced a double to the right-center gap, scoring two to extend the lead. Kersch followed with an RBI single, giving the Knights a 13-9 lead. Alfred scored once in the bottom of the inning, but the Knights held on for the victory.
GAME 2 - Geneseo 8, Alfred 3
- Elmer drove in the first run of the game, plating Persich with a single to put the Knights ahead in the first inning. Geneseo added two more runs in the second inning when sophomore outfielder Angela Van Pelt connected for her first career home run, a two-run shot that put the Knights ahead, 3-0.
- Alfred scored a run in the bottom of the third inning, plating one on a sacrifice fly to cut into the lead.
- Geneseo added on in the sixth inning, scoring five runs to extend the advantage to 8-1.
- The Saxons scored two in the bottom of the seventh, but senior pitcher Jasmine Petrishin shut the door to earn her second win of the day.
- Petrishin earned the victory in both games to improve to 2-0 from the circle. After allowing four earned runs in four innings in game one, she came back to pitch a complete game in the second contest, allowing three earned runs and fanning three Saxons.
- Fedor and Kersch each went 4-for-5 in game one while Napoli went 3-for-3 in game two. Elmer had a single and a double in each game, driving in two runs in both contests. She leads the team and the State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) with 18 RBI.
- With three hits in game two, Napoli broke into Geneseo's all-time top 10 in hits, with 139 in her career. With two hits in each game, Persich moved into fourth all-time with 160 career hits.
Geneseo will begin its SUNYAC schedule on Friday, March 29 with a doubleheader at New Paltz, beginning at 3 p.m.