CLERMONT, Fla. - The SUNY Geneseo softball team opened the 2019 season by splitting a pair of games, falling to Nebraska Wesleyan, 1-0, before bouncing back with a win over Lake Forest, 7-3.
GAME 1 – Nebraska Wesleyan 1, Geneseo 0
- The Geneseo offense was held to two hits as senior catcher Taylor Fedor and senior infielder Kylie Papagelos each recorded singles, but the Prairie Wolves scored the only run of the game on a sacrifice fly in the bottom of the fifth inning to take the lead.
- Senior pitcher Taylor Moore went 5.1 innings, recording three strikeouts and allowed one earned run.
- Senior pitcher Jasmine Petrishin helped the Knights out of a bases-loaded, one-out jam in the sixth, retiring the only two batters she faced and holding all three inherited runners.
GAME 2 – Geneseo 7, Lake Forest 3
- Geneseo plated five runs in the second inning to take an early lead. Junior outfielder Hannah Elmer ripped a two-run single to begin the rally and first-year infielder Alexandra Koutsogiannis and senior outfielder Alyssa Persich each followed with RBI singles, while senior outfielder Danni Napoli drove in a run with a sacrifice fly.
- Lake Forest responded with a pair of runs in the fourth inning on back-to-back RBI doubles, chasing Petrishin from the game. Junior pitcher Ashlyn Kersch came on in relief to end the Foresters' rally.
- Junior infielder Brooke Wolff gave the Knights a pair of insurance runs, driving in Kersch and Elmer with an RBI triple in the fifth inning.
- Lake Forest added another run in the sixth, but Kersch ended the inning by forcing a groundout. She finished with four strikeouts in 3.2 innings pitched to earn the win in relief.
- Wolff hit her third-career triple, the Knights' only extra-base hit of the day, while Koutsogiannis recorded her first-career hit and RBI.
- Game one marked the first time the Knights have been shutout in a game since April 23, 2017, breaking a 47-game streak of scoring at least one run.
Geneseo will face Framingham State at 9:00 a.m. and then take on Benedictine (Ill.) at 11:30 a.m.