NEW PALTZ, N.Y. – Sophomore pitcher Ashlyn Kersch earned the save in game one and got the win in game two, leading the Knights to a sweep of New Paltz, 2-1 and 1-0, in State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) play on Monday afternoon.
- Junior pitcher Jasmine Petrishin allowed one run over 4.2 innings pitched, scattering four hits and ringing up five strikeouts to earn the win.
- Junior infielder Anna Merante ripped an RBI double to right-center and came around to score on an RBI single by senior outfielder Claire VanNewkirk as the Knights gained a 2-0 lead in the first inning.
- New Paltz scored a run in the fifth, but sophomore pitcher Ashyln Kersch worked the Knights out of a jam to maintain a lead. She punched out six Hawks, including four in the sixth inning, over 2.1 innings to earn the save.
- Kersch continued throwing in game two, tossing 10.0 shutout innings to lead the way for Geneseo.
- In the bottom of the 10th inning, first-year pinch-runner Nicole Schwartz began on second base and moved to third on a sacrifice bunt by sophomore infielder Brooke Wolff.
- With one out and a runner on third, junior outfielder Alyssa Persich ripped a sacrifice fly to center, bringing Schwartz home for the winning run.
- Kersch recorded four strikeouts in the sixth inning of game one as she and Petrishin combined for a single-game season-high of 11 strikeouts.
- Kersch threw a combined 12.1 shutout innings, allowing four hits and recording 11 strikeouts to earn a save in game one and a win in game two.
- The Knights have won each of their last four games by one run, improving to 9-2 in one-run games, including a 6-1 record in conference games decided by one run.
Geneseo will travel to Nazareth on Tuesday, April 24 for a non-conference doubleheader against the Golden Flyers.