GENESEO, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo senior outfielder Claire VanNewkirk recorded three hits in game win while junior outfielder Danni Napoli and sophomore infielder Maddison Tucker each had three hits in game two as the Knights earned a pair of wins over State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) foe Fredonia, 4-3 and 7-0, Wednesday at Raschi Field.
- Fredonia jumped out to a 3-0 lead as the Knights' defense committed a pair of early errors. Geneseo responded with a three-run bottom of the second inning to tie the game. Tucker, junior outfielder Alyssa Persich and junior infielder Kylie Papagelos each recorded an RBI as the home team tied the game.
- In the fifth inning, Napoli led off with a hit by pitch and moved to second on a sacrifice bunt by junior infielder Anna Merante. VanNewkirk ripped a double to drive in Napoli for her team-best 16th RBI of the season to put Geneseo ahead, 4-3.
- Junior pitcher Taylor Moore retired six of the final seven batters she faced, allowing just one hit over the final two innings to shut down the Blue Devils and earn her eighth win of the season.
- The Knights took a 2-0 advantage in the first inning, punishing a pair of Fredonia errors to take the lead.
- In the second inning, Geneseo tacked on three more runs, as Tucker, Merante and junior catcher Taylor Fedor each recorded an RBI to give the Knights a 5-0 lead.
- VanNewkirk laced an RBI double and Fedor drove in a run with a sacrifice fly in the sixth inning to put Geneseo ahead, 7-0.
- Sophomore pitcher Ashlyn Kersch scattered five hits and struck out five Blue Devils on her way to a complete-game shutout.
- The Knights have won seven games in a row, matching the team's longest winning streak from last season.
- VanNewkirk continued her five-game hitting streak with four hits on the day. The senior has batted 7-for-12 (.583) over that stretch with six doubles, a home run and six RBI.
- The Geneseo pitching staff has reduced its team ERA to 1.99 on the season, allowing just eight earned runs over a seven-game winning streak. Kersch leads the team with a 0.89 ERA.
Geneseo will travel to New Paltz on Friday, April 20 to make up a pair of games originally scheduled for Tuesday, April 17. The Knights' originally scheduled Friday doubleheader against Cortland has been moved to Sunday, April 22.