Posted: Oct 29, 2019
ONEONTA, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo sophomore forward James Perrone scored the game-winning goal in the 100th minute as the Knights topped host Hartwick, 2-1, in overtime on Tuesday night at Elmore Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Geneseo outshot Hartwick, 11-3, in the first half. The Knights best chance in the period came when first-year midfielder Liam Mulderig connected on a diving header from the left side, but his effort was turned away as the two teams entered halftime level at 0-0.
- In the 56th minute, first-year forward Owen Frank collected a loose ball on the left side of the box, dribbled left toward the endline and fired a shot from a sharp angle that snuck inside the far post, putting the Knights ahead, 1-0.
- Hartwick drew even in the 87th minute, finishing off a failed clearance to level the score with under five minutes to play.
- In the final seconds of regulation, first-year back Quinlin Cronin connected with a header off a corner kick, but his attempt went just wide as the two teams entered extra time tied, 1-1.
- With 30 seconds remaining in the first overtime period, sophomore forward James Perrone finished off a rebound to give the Knights the 2-1, golden-goal victory. Frank earned his first assist of the season on the play.
- Perrone and Frank each scored their fourth goal of the season, and end the season as the team's leading goal scorers.
- Frank scored each of his four goals in the Knights' final five games, including a goal in each of the last two contests.
- Senior goalkeeper Liam Dole played the first half in goal but did not face a shot. First-year goalkeeper Will Price entered at halftime and recorded one save in the win.
- Geneseo (7-9-2) graduates seniors Mitch Capitula, Liam Dole, Matt Pike, Ben Licht, Bryan Wager and Caleb Murthy as well as senior student-assistant Dean Kousmanidis.