GENESEO, N.Y. - The SUNY Geneseo men's soccer team survived a pair of extra periods and a lengthy weather delay to earn a scoreless draw with visiting Oswego in State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) play on Saturday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Knights and Lakers played evenly through 90 minutes, with each team recording nine shots, but neither tallying a goal.
- With less than a minute to go in regulation, junior forward Bryan Wager drew a foul in the box to earn a penalty kick for the Knights, but Oswego goalkeeper Brian Terra turned away the attempt and sent the game into extra time.
- With 7:15 to go in the second overtime period, lightning interrupted the game, beginning a lengthy weather delay. The two teams resumed play over a half hour later.
- In the final minutes, junior goalkeeper Dillon Medd was called into action to make a diving save on an Oswego header, preserving the draw. The Knights' best look came in the second overtime period when first-year forward Ari Samoohy drove a hard, low shot but it was smothered by the Oswego keeper.
- The Knights played their seventh overtime game of the season, moving to 2-1-4 in extra-time games.
- Medd recorded his third shutout of the season, the 15th of his career.
- Geneseo celebrated senior day, honoring seniors Greg Baumstein, Austin DeRidder, Gavin Gleasman, Connor Ross and Noah Van Zandt in a pre-game ceremony.
The Knights will end their season with a trip to Morrisville to battle the Mustangs on Wednesday, October 24 at 4:00 p.m.