PLATTSBURGH, N.Y. – The SUNY Geneseo men's lacrosse team fell, 7-6, at Plattsburgh in the teams' State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) opener, Saturday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Neither team led by more than a goal in a game that featured six ties and five lead changes.
- Plattsburgh opened the scoring at 12:01 of the first quarter before back-to-back goals by junior attackman Patrick Morris and sophomore midfielder James Pratt gave the Knights a 2-1 lead with 6:22 left in the quarter.
- The Cardinals tied the game with a tally at 1:18 before re-taking a 4-3 lead at 12:22 of the second.
- Geneseo tied the game, 3-3, with 15 seconds left in the second quarter on first-year midfielder Jack Joyce's first collegiate goal before junior attackman Matt Malone pushed the Knights back on top, 4-3, at 12:22 of the third.
- Plattsburgh finished the quarter with a 3-1 run to lead 6-5 heading into the last period.
- First-year midfielder Sean Byrne re-tied the game, 6-6, with 12:12 left in the fourth, but the Cardinals scored what proved to be the deciding tally just over 10 minutes later to pull out the one-goal victory.
- Junior goalie Tyler Wetzel totaled 16 saves in the loss.
- Geneseo won 11-of-17 face-offs, including six-of-8 by first-year midfielder Ryan Lee.
- Wetzel picked up a team-high five ground balls, followed by four by sophomore defenseman Tyler Bushnell.
Geneseo heads to St. John Fisher on Wednesday (Apr. 3) for a 4:00 p.m. faceoff with the Cardinals.