CORTLAND, N.Y. – SUNY Geneseo sophomore attackman Matthew Malone notched two goals while first-year attackman Tim Fallo added a goal and two assists, but it was host Cortland taking down the Knights, 17-7, in State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) men's lacrosse action, Wednesday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Red Dragons (9-6, 4-1 SUNYAC) opened a 2-0 lead with 9:32 on the first-quarter clock before senior attackman Ryan Kelly put the Knights on the board with a goal at 6:58.
- Cortland closed the first quarter with a tally at 5:38 and then took a 4-1 lead 16 seconds into the second quarter. However, junior attackman Kyle Wanamaker pulled Geneseo back within two, 4-2, at 11:14.
- The Red Dragons finished the first half with a 3-0 run to carry a 7-2 lead at halftime.
- Fallo got on the board with a tally off a Wanamaker feed 49 seconds into the second half, but Cortland responded with a decisive 7-1 run to close the third quarter with a 14-4 edge.
- Back-to-back tallies in the first two minutes of the fourth by first-year attackman Connor Griffin and Cummings made it an eight-goal deficit, but the Red Dragons scored three of the final four goals of the game to earn the win.
- Geneseo sophomore goalie Tyler Wetzel finished with 12 saves as Cortland ended the game with a 50-30 advantage in shots.
- Senior defenseman Ryan Cates led all players with a career-high nine ground balls, but Cortland finished with a 46-24 edge, overall.
Geneseo hosts SUNYAC-rival Plattsburgh on Saturday (Apr. 28) for a 1:00 p.m. face-off to close the regular season.