ALFRED, N.Y. – SUNY Geneseo junior attackman Kyle Wannamaker scored two goals while first-year midfielder James Pratt notched a goal and an assist to lead the Knights to a 7-5 victory at Alfred, Wednesday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Alfred opened the scoring with 12:12 on the first-quarter clock, but Wanamaker answered with a pair of goals in a 1:07 span to put the visitors on top at 10:31.
- Senior midfielder Alex Leuze made it a 3-1 lead for Geneseo (4-3) at 5:01 before the Saxons responded at 3:37. Senior midfielder Andrew Cummings scored 24 seconds later to give Geneseo a 4-2 edge after 15 minutes of play.
- Alfred (5-4) scored two goals to tie the game, 4-4, with 6:36 left in the second quarter, but a tally by junior attackman Zachary DeBottis at 1:35 pushed the Knights back on top heading into the second half.
- Pratt got into the action with a tally at 11:21 of the third before Alfred responded at 5:43.
- First-year midfielder Ryan Dorney scored the lone goal of the fourth quarter as Geneseo held their hosts scoreless over the final 20 minutes of regulation to seal the win.
- Sophomore Tyler Wetzel made five saves to earn his second-straight victory while Geneseo out-shot the Saxons, 33-20.
- Senior defenseman Ryan Cates picked up a game-high seven ground balls while sophomore midfielder Michael Leveroni compiled six.
- First-year defenseman Jimmy McGrath caused a team-high five turnovers, followed by Leveroni with three.
Geneseo opens the State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) portion of its slate this Saturday traveling to Oneonta for a 1:00 p.m. face-off. The game marks the end of seven-consecutive road contests for the Knights.