PLATTSBURGH, N.Y. – SUNY Geneseo senior forward Tyson Empey scored the game-winning goal with 2:15 left in overtime to lead the No. 3 Knights to a 2-1 victory at Plattsburgh in State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) men's ice hockey, Saturday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After a scoreless first period, Geneseo got on the board following a Plattsburgh hooking penalty. Empey sent a puck off the right boards to sophomore defenseman Chris Perna at the top of the Plattsburgh zone. Perna held for a split second to avoid a sliding Cardinal defender and scored on a wrist shot under the cross bar with 9:26 on the clock.
- Plattsburgh evened the score 1:49 into the third period after Matt Araujo scored on a shot from the top of the right face-off circle through a crowd.
- The teams remained tied into overtime when Plattsburgh was whistled for a tripping penalty with 4:01 on the clock. Geneseo cycled the puck around the Cardinal zone before senior forward Andrew Romano fed senior forward Conlan Keenan in the low slot. Keenan slid a short pass to an open Empey on the right post for the deciding tally.
- Geneseo played its second overtime game to start the season, also tying host Potsdam, 2-2, on Friday evening.
- Empey tied last night's game with a third-period power-play tally. He finished the 2018-19 season second in the nation with 11 power-play goals.
- Knights' junior goalie Aaron Mackay tied a career-high with 26 saves as Plattsburgh finished the game with a 27-24 shot advantage.
Geneseo hosts Nazareth on Tuesday (Nov. 5) at 7:00 p.m. in its first home contest of the winter.