GENESEO, N.Y. – SUNY Geneseo senior defenseman Mitch Ferguson scored two goals and added an assist to lead the No. 2 Knights to a 5-0 victory over visiting Potsdam in State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) men's ice hockey, Saturday.
Senior goalie Devin McDonald was credited with 17 saves to tie the NCAA Division III record with his 10th shutout of the season.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Geneseo got on the board just over three minutes into the game after first-year forward Ryan Burnett dug a loose puck off the boards to senior defenseman Duggie Lagrone at the top of the right faceoff circle. Ferguson took a cross-ice feed and scored on a shot through traffic with 16:56 on the clock.
- Skating on a power play following a Potsdam hooking penalty, junior forward Andrew Romano took a cross from junior forward Conlan Keenan in the left slot and dropped a pass to Ferguson for a one-timer into the top-right corner with 8:05 left in the second period.
- Geneseo scored three times in the final three minutes of the game. Lagrone zipped a pass from the top of the zone behind the Potsdam defense to first-year forward Henry Cleghorn, who got open to stuff a short shot inside the left post with 2:51 on the clock.
- Thirty-three seconds later, Keenan popped a puck off the top of the Bears' net that landed in front for a wide-open jam by Romano at 2:18.
- Senior forward Anthony Marra took a feed in the slot from Ferguson and snapped a wrist shot down off the cross bar with 1:45 left in regulation.
- McDonald notched his 64th-career victory to move into a three-way tie for ninth place in Division III history with Connor Toomey (Milwaukee School of Engineering 2009-12) and Dave Graichen (Wisconsin-Superior 1994-97).
- Keenan notched his 109th point to surpass Erik Stevens '87 for 24th on Geneseo's career scoring list.
- Geneseo notched its 10th shutout to tie for the second-highest single-season total in Division III history. Middlebury compiled a record 11 shutouts during the 2001 season before St. Norbert finished with 10 in 2008.
- Geneseo celebrated Faculty Recognition Night during the first intermission as members of the Class of 2019 recognized faculty members that had an impact on their academic careers.
Geneseo hits the road to take on Canton next Saturday (Feb. 2) in a 7:00 p.m. non-conference face-off.