GENESEO, N.Y. – SUNY Geneseo senior forward Anthony Marra totaled a goal and two assists while senior defenseman Mitch Ferguson logged two goals to lead the No. 2 Knights to a 7-0 shutout of visiting Stevenson (Md.), Saturday, for their 12th-consecutive victory.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Senior forward Joe Serpico scored on a redirect in front the Mustang crease off a shot from the point by first-year forward Chris Perna to open the scoring with 14:07 left in the first period.
- Ferguson tipped a short rebound inside the left post to finish a Knights' rush with 8:37 on the clock.
- Junior defenseman Cam Russell took a shot from the top of the slot and pounced on his own rebound to score on a wrist shot under the Stevenson goalie's pads at 6:25.
- Marra dropped a pass at the top of the slot to junior defenseman Tanner Salsberry, who scored on a wrist shot with 3:11 on the clock to post the Knights to a 4-0 lead after 20 minutes of play.
- Junior forward Tyson Empey took a shot from the top of the zone that rebounded directly to Marra for a short finish inside the left post with 15:55 left on the second-period clock.
- Just over 10 minutes later, junior forward Conlan Keenan dropped a puck at the top of the Mustang zone for senior forward Andrew Romano, who fed junior forward David Szmyd in the left slot for a one-timer with 5:31 on the clock.
- Ferguson closed the scoring with 2:41 on the third-period clock after intercepting a Stevenson pass at center ice and skating in to score on a high stick-side wrist shot.
- Geneseo senior goalie Devin McDonald totaled 19 saves to notch his eighth shutout of the season, which is the second-highest mark in Division III history and most since St. Norbert's Kyle Jones totaled a record 10 shutouts during the 2007-08 campaign. McDonald also moved into a three-way tie for 14th place in the Division III record books with his 61st career victory.
- Romano notched his 72nd career assist to move into a tie for 21st on the program's all-time list with current Knights' assistant coach Dan Loughran '86.
- Marra's three-point afternoon pushed him to 90 career points in a Geneseo sweater while Szmyd's goal was his 80th-career point.
Geneseo will host SUNYAC-rival Fredonia next Friday (Jan. 18) for a 7:00 p.m. face-off.