GENESEO, N.Y. – SUNY Geneseo sophomore defenseman Kyle Hartman scored his first two collegiate goals along with an assist while junior forward Conlan Keenan and David Szmyd were each credited with a goal and two assists to lead the No. 4/6 Knights to a 7-1 win over Morrisville in State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) men's ice hockey, Saturday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Hartman opened the scoring with 8:33 on the first-period clock after taking a feed across the top of the Mustang zone from first-year first-year forward Ryan Burnett and scoring on a stick side-high shot from the right face-off circle.
- Sophomore forward Dan Bosio pushed home a feed from sophomore forward Carson Kelley to finish a rush with 59.4 on the clock to post the Knights to a 2-0 lead after 20 minutes of play.
- Senior forward Anthony Marra scored a highlight-reel goal 57 seconds into the first period after junior forward Andrew Romano cleared the Knights' zone with a long pass to junior forward David Szmyd. Marra took a drop pass at the opposite blue line line and scored on a one-handed lefty flip inside the left post.
- Just over a minute later, Hartman scored on a shot from the right face-off circle that deflected off the top of the Morrisville goalie's glove and trickled inside the right post.
- Two minutes later, senior defenseman Mitch Ferguson intercepted a clearing pass inside the blue line on the left boards and flipped a puck in front of the Morrisville net. Szmyd backhanded a short pass to junior forward Conland Keenan, who was open to bury a one-timer inside the right post.
- Conlan returned the favor with 6:25 on the clock after backhanding a short feed for a quick finish by Szmyd on the left post to push the Geneseo lead to 6-0 after 40 minutes of play.
- Morrisville got on the board with 11:22 on the third period clock, but sophomore forward Chris Perna later closed the scoring with a power-play tally with 1:00 left in regulation to close the game.
- Sophomore goalie Aaron MacKay totaled 13 saves to earn the victory in his first start of the season.
- Szmyd eclipsed the 70-point plateau, finishing the game with 71 career points on 27 goals and 44 assists.
- Romano's two assists pushed his career total to 61.
- Keenan finished the two-game set opposite Morrisville with a team-high nine points after also scoring three goals and three assists in Friday's 9-0 shutout.
The Knights (6-1-1, 4-1-1 SUNYAC) will return to action on Tuesday (Nov. 20), hosting Elmira at 7:00 p.m.