GENESEO, N.Y. – Colby first-year forward Justin Grillo scored the game-winning goal with 1.6 left in regulation to defeat host Geneseo, 2-1, in the second round of the NCAA Division III Men's Ice Hockey Tournament, Saturday at Wilson Ice Arena.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Following a scoreless first period, Colby junior defenseman Thomas Stahlhuth took a centering feed from Grillo and tipped a backhanded shot past Geneseo junior goalie Devin McDonald to finish and odd-man rush 40 seconds into the second.
- Geneseo trailed by one into the third period before a Colby kneeing penalty at 12:20 followed by a tripping penalty 24 second later gave the Knights a 5-on-3 opportunity. Geneseo cycled the puck through the Mule zone before junior forward Arthur Gordon sniped a right-wing shot into the upper-right corner of the Colby net to even the score, 1-1, at 11:42.
- The Mules scored the game-winner on a rush in the final 10 seconds of the game. Stahlhuth took a wrist shot from the top of the slot that was blocked by a Geneseo defender, but a trailing Grillo buried the rebound with a wrist shot under McDonald's arm for the deciding tally.
- Colby senior goalie Sean Lawrence totaled 38 saves for his ninth-straight 30-plus save showing.
- Colby is unbeaten in its last nine games with a 7-0-2 record, including five-straight postseason road victories. The Mules will take on St. Norbert next Friday (March 23) in the NCAA Tournament Semifinals at Herb Brooks Arena in Lake Placid.
- Geneseo suffered its first home loss of the winter. The Knights entered the game with a 12-0-1 mark at Wilson Ice Arena while out-scoring its opponents, 63-13.
- McDonald totaled 23 saves as Geneseo out-shot Colby, 39-25.