GENESEO, N.Y. – SUNY Geneseo sophomore forward David Szmyd scored two goals to lead the Knights to a 5-2 victory over visiting Buffalo State in State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) Men's Ice Hockey Tournament Semifinal action, Saturday.
The second-seeded Knights (18-5-3) will host fifth-seeded Fredonia next Saturday (March 3) in the SUNYAC Championship game at 7:00 p.m. with the winner earning an automatic bid to the NCAA Division III Tournament. The Blue Devils upset top-seeded Oswego, 3-1, in the night's other semifinal action.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Geneseo got on the board 1:17 into the game. Sophomore forward Tyson Empey skated the puck along the left boards into the Bengal zone and flipped a shot on goal that Buffalo State senior goalie Ian Sylves knocked away. However, Szmyd collected the rebound and scored on a wrist shot inside the right post.
- Geneseo took a 2-0 lead 10 minutes later. Buffalo State played a puck back into its own zone but Szmyd intercepted a pass inside the Bengal blue line and scored on a wrist shot with 8:26 on the clock.
- The Bengals got one back four minutes later after sophomore forward Hugo Petit split two defenders to score on a wrist shot at 4:25.
- Sixteen seconds into the second period, Geneseo sophomore forward Conlan Keenan took possession of the puck inside the Buffalo State left faceoff circle and fed sophomore forward Andrew Romano through the slot for a scoring shot inside the right post that made it a 3-1 edge.
- A boarding penalty put the Knights a man-down three minutes later. However, Geneseo sophomore defenseman Cam Russell skated a loose puck out of the Knights' zone and hit a streaking Keenan down the left boards for a scoring wrist shot through the pads of first-year goalie Connor Minch, who replaced Sylves after the Knights' third goal.
- The teams traded goals during a three-minute span late in the second period for what proved to be the final tallies of the game. Buffalo State senior forward Zach Remers re-directed a shot in front of the Knights' crease with 5:22 on the clock, but Empey answered after netting a rebound during an odd-man rush with 2:19 remaining.
- Geneseo improved to 4-0 versus Buffalo State in the SUNYAC Tournament. The Knights defeated the host Bengals, 3-1, in the 2016 semifinals while also earning a 2-0 semifinal home win in 2014 and a 4-3 overtime home win in the 2009 quarterfinals.
- Geneseo made its third-straight appearance in the SUNYAC Semifinals and eighth since the tournament was changed to a single-elimination format in 2007. The Knights fell last year at Plattsburgh, 5-2, after earning the road win over Buffalo State in 2016.
- Junior goalie Devin McDonald totaled 20 saves to improve to 17-3-3 this season while breaking a three-way tie atop the program's career wins list (Mark Breeden '99, Lou Germain '91) with a 45-11-11 record.
- Geneseo improved to 16-2-3 this season when scoring the first goal as well as 13-1 when scoring at least five goals.